Excellence in Vascular Imaging
For more than 10 years, Mayfair Diagnostics and our highly trained vascular imaging experts have been performing specialized Vascular Ultrasound studies at our Vascular Lab in Mayfair Place.
Vascular Ultrasound is a noninvasive procedure used to assess the circulation in your blood vessels (veins and arteries). We perform a number of studies that evaluate your blood flow to various parts of the body; the most common being Venous (vein) Ultrasound of the leg or arm to check for blood clots and carotid artery ultrasound to assess blood flow to the brain, which are performed at all of our clinics..
Our Vascular Lab sonographers are Registered Vascular Sonographers who have been performing these complex and specialized exams for many years, before many other diagnostic imaging companies in Calgary.
Here’s an overview of some of the exams available at our Vascular Lab:
- ABI + TBI only - An Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) measurement compares the blood pressure in your arm to the pressure at your ankle. It helps determine how well your blood is flowing from your heart to your feet and may also include a Toe Brachial Index (TBI) measurement to take additional blood pressure readings at the toes.
- Arterial Arms – This exam assesses the blood flow of arteries in the arms and is performed for a variety of conditions, including Raynaud's Syndrome and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
- Arterial Legs + ABI – This exam assesses the blood flow of arteries in the legs, from the groin to the ankle. If blood flow is compromised, it could produce symptoms such as cramping of the leg muscles. We can also assess the function of a bypass graft or stent that has been surgically placed inside a blood vessel to improve blood flow.
- Carotid, Vertebral & Subclavian Arteries Ultrasound - This exam is often ordered to check the flow of blood to the brain and assess the risk for a stroke.
- Liver Doppler Ultrasound - This exam assesses blood flow into the liver through the portal veins and out of the liver through the hepatic veins, which empty into the heart. If you have certain liver conditions, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis, or if your blood tests show elevation of certain liver enzymes, your doctor may request this exam to check the function of the liver tissue. Liver Doppler is also used to evaluate the liver on a regular basis for people who have had a liver transplant.
- Renal Artery Doppler Ultrasound - This exam assesses the blood flow into and out of the kidneys. If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, your doctor may request this exam to determine if there is a narrowing in the blood vessels leading to each kidney from the aorta. Tiny blood vessels within each kidney are also evaluated.
- Venous Ultrasound - This exam evaluates the blood flow of your leg or arm to check for blood clots and may be ordered to check for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). It is performed at all our locations.
Cutting-edge, specialized equipment combines with our experienced and highly collaborative team to examine complex medical histories and provide the best results for our patients. For more information about these exams, please speak to your health care practitioner or visit our Vascular Ultrasound services page.