Prolotherapy stimulates local inflammation and the healing process with an injection of a sterile dextrose solution. This treatment is limited to treating trigger point pain in soft tissues and as a last option for muscles, tendons, or ligaments injuries when no other treatment has proven effective.
This procedure can be combined with tenotomy or fasciotomy (fenestration) therapy to strengthen and accelerate healing. There is a fee for this treatment.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY PROCEDURE?
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Since we want to encourage an inflammatory response, you will need to be off anti-inflammatories for two weeks before your appointment.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY PROCEDURE?
- We may provide you with a comfortable clinic gown to change into (depending on the area being treated).
- A team member will explain the consent form, procedure details, and answer any questions.
- We will then escort you to our treatment suite where you will meet the radiologist who will clean the skin and inject a local anesthetic, similar to the freezing you get at the dentist.
- Ultrasound guidance will be used to perform the treatment and inject the solution using a thin, sterile needle.
- You will be assessed post-injection by our team and, if there are no concerns, you will be free to leave.
- First 24 hours: Please rest and keep the treatment area clean. Leave the Band-Aid on. Do not shower
- First 48 hours: Avoid bathtubs, hot tubs, and pools. Avoid strenuous activities and lifting. The pain may temporarily worsen due to inflammation during the first 24-48 hours. Take Tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen and apply heat or cold as needed.
- After one week: You may gradually return to activity and resume physiotherapy. Be mindful of your pain and stop if it hurts too much. Notify your physiotherapist that you have had this injection so they can modify your exercises if necessary.
- Watch for infection: If you develop worsening pain, skin redness at the site of injection, or a temperature greater than 38.5°C, please proceed to a an urgent care or emergency centre.
- If you have pain or other symptoms beyond 48 hours after your injection, please call our office at 403-568-3890 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org during business hours. You may apply heat and ice to the treatment area.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
- We arrange a follow-up ultrasound six months after the treatment for reassessment, and to plan additional procedures if required.
- A series of treatments may be recommended. The results of a single treatment should be apparent after six weeks.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Your treatment will cost $400 per site. Please call the pain therapy department at 403-777-3122 for more information.