A Thyroid Biopsy is a procedure that uses a very fine needle - Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) - to extract microscopic samples of nodules within the thyroid gland. These samples will be sent to a laboratory for analysis.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
- Wear a two-piece outfit so you can change for the exam more comfortably.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You will be asked to remove your clothing from the waist up and given a robe.
- A technologist will go over the consent form, explain the procedure, and answer any questions.
- We will then escort you to the exam room and do a pre-scan of your thyroid to document the area of interest.
- The radiologist will use ultrasound to confirm the correct area, and then clean the treatment area with alcohol. Local freezing may be administered before a small needle is guided by ultrasound into the thyroid nodule.
- The radiologist will take three or four samples. You will feel some movement and pressure for a short period of time. Band-Aids will be placed over treatment areas.
- You will be checked by the technologist post-procedure and if there are no concerns, you are free to leave with your driver.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We will forward the results to your doctor within one week.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This exam is covered under your Alberta Health Care Plan. It is not currently offered at our Saskatchewan clinic.