Biophysical Profile & Growth Ultrasound
During the third trimester, a biophysical profile and growth ultrasound checks on your baby’s growth and well-being. You may have more than one during this time period to track the growth of your baby.
You can now obtain the baby images from your obstetrical ultrasound exams on a complimentary USB, to share with family and friends. Please talk with one of our clinic receptionists for more details.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- You do not need to drink water for this test.
- You should have a snack prior to your exam to help us assess the movement of the baby. At this stage babies sometimes want to sleep, so a few calories will encourage them to move
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You will be asked to change into a gown.
- A warm, non-scented, hypo-allergenic ultrasound gel will be applied to your stomach.
- Your sonographer will take measurements of your baby’s head, tummy and leg to compare to previous tests. You may not require all of the anatomy assessment if everything was fine with the detailed scan in the second trimester.
- The sonographer will also observe, assess and grade the body movements, fine motor movements, breathing pattern and measure amniotic fluid volume around your baby.
- The length of your exam depends on how much your baby moves and its position.
- You may experience mild to moderate pressure while the sonographer takes the images.
- Please advise the sonographer if you are having trouble holding your bladder at any time during the ultrasound.
- If you need to move into a more comfortable position, please let the sonographer know.
- While the sonographer may be concentrating on completing your ultrasound in a timely manner, they can discuss your images with you at the end of your exam.
- You may bring your partner, family member or friend into the ultrasound room during the exam or at the end, whichever is your preference. Please ensure that young children are supervised during the exam and we can bring them in at the conclusion of your ultrasound.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We do our best to have our radiologists interpret the information and forward the results to your doctor by the next business day.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This exam is covered under the Alberta and Saskatchewan Health Care Plans.