Biophysical Profile & Growth Ultrasound
During the third trimester, a biophysical profile and growth ultrasound checks on your baby’s growth and well-being. You may have more than one during this time period to monitor your baby.
For more information about this and other obstetrical ultrasound exams, please read the article What's the Purpose of Obstetrical Ultrasounds?
We can give you the baby images from your obstetrical ultrasound exams on a complimentary USB, to share with family and friends. Please speak with one of our clinic receptionists for more details.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
- You do not need to drink water for this test.
- You should have a snack prior to your exam to help us assess the movement of the baby. At this stage babies sometimes want to sleep, so a few calories will encourage them to move.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to allow enough time to check in with reception.
- You can expect to be at the clinic between 30-60 minutes, depending on your procedure(s) and barring any unforeseen delays.
- Bring photo identification and your provincial health card.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You will be asked to change into a gown.
- A warm, non-scented, hypo-allergenic, water-based ultrasound gel will be applied to your stomach.
- Your sonographer will take measurements of your baby and compare to previous exams. You may not require a complete anatomy assessment if you’ve already had a detailed anatomy assessment scan.
- The sonographer will also observe, assess, and grade your baby’s body movements, fine motor movements, and breathing pattern, as well as measure amniotic fluid volume around your baby.
- The length of your exam depends on how much your baby moves and its position.
- You may experience mild to moderate pressure while the sonographer takes the images.
- Please advise the sonographer if you are having trouble holding your bladder at any time during the ultrasound.
- If you need to move into a more comfortable position, please let the sonographer know.
- Your sonographer may be concentrating on obtaining all of the necessary images, so they may show you images of your baby at the end of the exam.
- You may bring your partner, family member, or friend into the ultrasound room during the exam or at the end, whichever is your preference. Please ensure that young children are supervised during the exam; we can bring them in at the conclusion of your ultrasound.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We do our best to have our radiologists interpret the information and forward the results to your doctor by the next business day.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This exam is covered under the Alberta and Saskatchewan Health Care Plans.