General Computed Tomography
Computed Tomography (CT) is an advanced imaging system that uses a combination of X-rays and computer technology to produce comprehensive images of specific areas of your body, including your bones, chest, head, joints, lungs, and spine. CT scans give a much more detailed picture than regular X-rays and can identify many conditions that may escape detection on other imaging tests, such as lung cancer.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You may be asked to change into scrubs.
- You will be asked to lie on your back on the bed of the CT scanner, which will then be adjusted for correct placement.
- If needed, your technologist will then set up an intravenous (IV) line for the contrast solution. Please note that IV contrast is an additional cost of $150.
- Your technologist will leave the room to begin your exam, but you will be in direct communication throughout your procedure.
- These CT scans are painless. You won’t feel a thing.
- On a few occasions, you may be asked to hold your breath (for 10-15 seconds) to help obtain specific images.
- Once we have the correct number of good-quality images, your technologist will help you off the bed and guide you back to your change room. You are then free to leave.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We aim to interpret the information and send a report to your doctor within the same business day, or by the next business day at the latest.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
In Calgary, CT exams are provided at our Mayfair Place location as private pay exams and are not covered by Alberta Health Care. Your health spending account or group medical insurance plan may cover the cost of a private CT that is prescribed by a qualified health care practitioner. You will need to check with your plan administrator for coverage details.
Our pricing can be download in the right side bar, just click on the location. Please note that IV contrast is an additional cost of $150.