Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound
The nuchal translucency ultrasound estimates the risk of your baby having Down’s syndrome. We perform this exam between 12 weeks and 13 weeks, 4 days. It requires that we take a specific measurement of the skin thickness at the back of the neck.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Have a snack and drink one litre of water 60-90 minutes prior to your exam to ensure you arrive with a full bladder.
- If you are too uncomfortable, please relieve your bladder of a small amount of urine.
- Once the test has begun, your sonographer will advise you if you can empty your bladder further or totally. We understand that a full bladder can be uncomfortable.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You may be asked to change into a gown for certain exams.
- A warm, non-scented, hypo-allergenic ultrasound gel will be applied to your stomach.
- The sonographer will record the heartbeat and measure the length of your baby to correlate with your dates.
- The length of your exam depends on how much your baby moves and it’s position. The nuchal measurement has very exacting criteria for the sonographer, so the test length will vary depend on your baby being in the correct position to obtain the measurement.
- You may experience mild to moderate pressure while the sonographer takes the images.
- Please advise the sonographer if you are having trouble holding your bladder at any time during the ultrasound.
- If you need to move into a more comfortable position, please let the sonographer know.
- While the sonographer may be concentrating on completing your ultrasound in a timely manner, they can discuss your images with you at the end of your exam.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We do our best to have our radiologists interpret the information and forward the results to your doctor by the next business day.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This exam is covered under the Alberta and Saskatchewan Health Care Plans.