Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection
A platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection is a safe and effective treatment used to speed the healing of new injuries, as well as repair chronic injuries. Platelet-rich plasma is taken from your own blood and injected with a needling technique under ultrasound guidance to stimulate your body to heal itself. This treatment has been proven effective for chronic tendon and ligament injuries, and it speeds up the healing of new tendon or muscle injuries.
For best results, we recommend a single injection for soft tissues. This procedure can be combined with tenotomy or fasciotomy (fenestration) therapy to strengthen and accelerate healing. There is a fee for this treatment
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY PROCEDURE?
- Avoid anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, etc.) for two weeks before and two weeks after your injection.
- Do not stop taking low-dose aspirin if prescribed by your doctor.
- You are encouraged to have a small snack one hour before your exam.
- If you take insulin to manage your diabetes, please let your booking coordinator know. You may have some juice and a small snack after taking your insulin.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY PROCEDURE?
- A team member will go over your consent form, explain the procedure, and answer any questions you may have.
- We will take a small volume of blood from your arm to prepare the injection.
- The blood sample is placed in a centrifuge and spun to separate the platelets from the rest of the blood components. You can rest in a waiting room during this process; it takes 5-15 minutes.
- A technologist will bring you into the treatment room and position you on the table. A radiologist will evaluate the area, clean the skin, and inject a local anesthetic.
- Once frozen, using ultrasound guidance, the radiologist will inject the PRP preparation into the affected area using a sterile needle.
- You will be assessed post-injection by our team and, if there are no concerns, you will be free to leave.
- First 24 hours: Keep the treatment area clean. Leave the Band-Aid on. Do not shower. Please rest the injected area for the rest of the day after your injection.
- First 48 hours: Avoid bathtubs, hot tubs, and pools. Avoid strenuous activity and lifting.
- After one week: Avoid strenuous activity or physiotherapy for at least five days following your injection with a gradual return to activity. Be mindful of your pain and stop if it hurts too much, or other symptoms worsen. You may resume physiotherapy, but notify your physiotherapist that you have had this injection so they can modify your exercises if necessary.
- If possible, please avoid anti-inflammatory medication for two weeks (such as ibuprofen – Advil). It may interfere with the effectiveness of your injection.
- Watch for infection: If you develop worsening pain, skin redness at the site of injection, or a temperature greater than 38.5°C, please proceed to an urgent care or emergency centre.
- If you have pain or other symptoms beyond 48 hours after your injection, please call our office at 403-568-3890 or email us at email@example.com during business hours. You may apply heat and ice to the treatment area.
WHEN WILL I SEE RESULTS?
- We will arrange a follow-up ultrasound at six months to assess healing.
- Results from early healing are not typically appreciated until one month after the procedure, although healing and repair continue over 12 months.
- Some patients get complete, permanent relief from their symptoms, while others may notice limited benefit. If an injection does not help relieve your symptoms after two months, then you may need further evaluation by your referring doctor.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
We advise a single PRP treatment for soft tissues, which is $450.