A Thyroid Ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to examine the thyroid gland, a small endocrine gland that lies at the front of your neck below the “Adam’s apple”. This exam can assess the size and shape of this gland to help your doctor discover any alteration in function of the thyroid gland.
We can also perform an ultrasound-guided Thyroid Biopsy if your doctor is concerned about nodules in the thyroid. A very fine needle is guided into the nodule with the help of ultrasound imaging to take a small tissue sample. This sample is then sent to the laboratory for testing and the results will be sent to your physician. The radiologist and sonographer will describe the procedure in more detail when you arrive for the appointment to ensure you understand and consent to the procedure
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medications as directed.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- A warm, non-scented, hypo-allergenic ultrasound gel will be applied to your neck.
- You will be asked to lie on your back with a small pillow beneath your shoulders and neck.
- The sonographer will move the transducer around your neck and assess your thyroid for nodules or cysts which commonly occur in the thyroid gland.
- You will be asked a few questions about your thyroid to assist the radiologist in providing a comprehensive report to your physician.
- You may experience mild to moderate pressure while the sonographer takes the images.
- The radiologist may come into the scan room after your exam to speak to you about your results. You will then be free to leave.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We do our best to have our radiologists interpret the information and forward the results to your doctor by the next business day.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
This exam is covered under the Alberta and Saskatchewan Health Care Plans.