A virtual colonoscopy is a minimally invasive computed tomography (CT) scan that produces two and three dimensional images of the large intestine (colon), rectum and small intestine. The procedure is used to diagnose colon and bowel disease, including polyps and masses, diverticulosis (pouches in the colon) and cancer.
- We will provide you with either a Standard Preparation Kit or a Preparation Kit for Patients Using Colyte. We can courier it or you can pick it up.
- Please read and follow the instructions in your kit carefully. The materials are designed to cleanse your bowel for your exam; if it is not completely clean, we may have to repeat the exam. Any remaining stool may also hide serious conditions.
- Individual responses to the laxatives may vary. You may wish to remain close to washroom facilities during the preparation phase and for several hours after the study.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY EXAM?
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Take all prescribed medication as directed, but with a small amount of water. Don’t eat or drink anything else.
- Please let us know if you have allergies, diabetes, heart or kidney disease, or a sodium-restricted diet.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Three hours before your exam, take 10 milligrams of Buscopan (one tablet), if it’s included in your kit. Swallow it whole with a small amount of water (don’t chew or dissolved the tablet).
WHAT HAPPENS DURING MY EXAM?
- You may be asked to change into scrubs.
- You will be asked to lie on your back on the bed of the CT scanner, which will then be adjusted for correct placement.
- Your technologist will leave the room to begin your exam, but you will be in direct communication throughout your procedure.
- A small tube will be inserted into your rectum to inflate your colon with CO2 until you feel full. (CO2 is more comfortable and more readily absorbed by the body than room air.)
- During the exam, you will be asked to turn from your back to your stomach.
- On a few occasions, you will be asked to hold your breath (for 10-15 seconds) to help obtain specific images.
- Once we have the correct number of good-quality images, your technologist will help you off the bed and guide you back to your change room. You are then free to leave.
- Resume your normal diet and medications.
- You will be able to drive after the exam.
- Although some of the CO2 will be absorbed, the majority of it will be expelled naturally over the next few hours.
- If you have any questions or concerns following your exam, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 403-777-4674.
WHEN WILL I GET MY RESULTS?
We do our best to have our radiologists interpret the information and forward the results to your doctor by the next business day. For our Health Assessment Scans, we will also provide you with a letter with your results and a digital copy of your images.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
In Calgary, CT exams are provided at our Mayfair Place location as private pay exams and are not covered by Alberta Health Care. A virtual colonoscopy is $895.
We offer a 10% Seniors discount (65+) that can be applied to the total CT exam.
Your health spending account or group medical insurance plan may cover the cost of a private CT that is prescribed by a qualified health care practitioner. You will need to check with your plan administrator for coverage details.
Please note that if contrast is needed, it’s an additional cost of $125.