What is a Health Assessment Package
Preventative computed tomography (CT) screening exams are designed for the early detection of diseases before they become clinically apparent. Mayfair Diagnostics offers individual exams or Health Assessment Packages that provide a discount on multiple imaging exams when purchased together. All CT imaging is offered at our Mayfair Place location as private pay exams, click here for our fee guide.
Mayfair's Health Assessment Packages differ in terms of the body parts being scanned; they include:
- Mayfair ASSURANCE: This exam includes a CT scan of the heart and lungs, plus a virtual colonoscopy.
- Mayfair PREMIER: This exam is only offered to patients with clinical symptoms in the abdominal or pelvic areas. It includes a CT scan of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and pelvis.
- Mayfair ESSENTIAL: This exam includes a coronary CT angiography, plus a virtual colonoscopy.
- Mayfair COMPREHENSIVE: This exam includes the Mayfair PREMIER package, plus a virtual colonoscopy.
WHO SHOULD HAVE PREVENTATIVE CT SCREENING?
Typically, preventative screening is beneficial to patients who are over 40 and in good health, but have a family history of disease. In particular, these exams are recommended for patients who may be predisposed to heart disease or have a family history of colon cancer.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I HAVE PREVENTATIVE CT SCREENING?
Our radiologists recommend that patients receive a preventative CT screening every three to five years. This is the optimal interval since CT imaging is a type of X-ray imaging which does expose you to a low dose of radiation.
HOW LONG DOES CT IMAGING TAKE?
Typically, the scan takes less than 30 minutes, but the appointment may be as long as two hours. The timing for each type of exam differs, depending on the preparation required before entering the exam room. Here are some examples:
- Some exams may require an injection of IV contrast or the ingestion of a solution to enhance the digestive system.
- A virtual colonoscopy requires special bowel preparations prior to the exam and inflation of the bowel with CO2 during the exam.
- A coronary CT angiography requires medication to slow the heart, as well as cardiac leads on the arms and chest to scan at specific intervals during the heartbeat.
HOW DO I GET CT IMAGING?
Yes, you need a referral from your health care practitioner before you can book CT imaging. To determine whether it’s appropriate for you, your doctor will often review your medical and family history, risk factors, how long symptoms have been present, and how they affect daily activities. If a private CT is indicated as a best next course of action, your doctor will provide you with a requisition and preparation instructions for your exam. You will then be able to book the appointment.
IS CT IMAGING AND HEALTH ASSESSMENT PACKAGES COVERED BY THE ALBERTA HEALTH CARE INSURANCE PLAN?
No, CT imaging at Mayfair Place is not covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. They are private pay exams and vary in price depending on the package you receive. To learn more, please contact us.