What is a Health Assessment Scan?
A Health Assessment scan is a Computed Tomography (CT) scan of your upper body. It’s essentially a screening exam intended for people who want to look for early signs of disease. Mayfair offers four preventative CT Health Assessment packages that differ in terms of the body parts being scanned. They include:
- Mayfair ASSURANCE: This exam includes a CT scan of the heart and lungs, plus a Virtual Colonoscopy.
- Mayfair PREMIER: This exam is only offered to patients with clinical symptoms in the abdominal or pelvic areas. It includes a CT scan of the heart, lungs, abdomen, and pelvis.
- Mayfair ESSENTIAL: This exam includes a Coronary CT Angiography, plus a Virtual Colonoscopy.
- Mayfair COMPREHENSIVE: This exam includes the Mayfair PREMIER package, plus a Virtual Colonoscopy.
Who should have a Health Assessment scan?
Typically, Health Assessment scans are ideal for patients who are over 40 and in good health, and who may have a family history of disease. In particular, these exams are recommended for patients who may be predisposed to heart disease or have a family history of colon cancer.
How often should I have a Health Assessment scan?
Our radiologists recommend that patients receive a Health Assessment scan every three to five years. This is the optimal interval since the exam is performed using a CT scanner which does expose you to a low dose of radiation.
How long does the scan take?
Typically, the scan takes less than 30 minutes, but the appointment may take as long as two hours. The timing for each type of exam differs, depending on the preparation required before entering the scan room. Here are some examples:
- Some exams may require an injection of IV contrast or the ingestion of a solution to enhance the digestive system.
- The Virtual Colonoscopy requires special bowel preparations prior to the exam and inflation of the bowel with CO2 during the exam.
- A Coronary CT Angiography requires medication to slow the heart, as well as cardiac leads on the arms and chest to scan at specific intervals during the heartbeat.
Do I need a referral?
Yes, you need a referral from your health care practitioner before you can book an exam. If you would like to learn more about our scans, please visit our website.
Are Health Assessment scans covered by Alberta Health Services?
No, Health Assessment scans are not covered by Alberta Health Services. They are fee-for-service exams and vary in price depending on the package you receive. To learn more, please contact us.